At the heart of this revolution, energy suppliers and retailers are investing in wireless Internet of Things (IoT) technologies to re-imagine the power grid. With connected machine-to-machine (M2M) solutions, they can:
- Optimize electricity generation and distribution to serve more customers more efficiently and reduce carbon footprint
- Reduce peak consumption by shifting demand loads
- Boost efficiency through improved diagnostics
- Lower operational and maintenance costs
- Increase visibility into grid operations
Historically, utilities and connected solution vendors had to implement and operate their own communications infrastructures, or rely on traditional wired telephone lines or radio communications that limited where and how they could connect equipment. With today’s ubiquitous cellular networks and highly reliable wireless applications, utilities can connect more devices in more places than ever before, and deploy and maintain them at a much lower cost.
Sierra Wireless has more than a decade of experience building intelligent wireless solutions that enable smart grid transformation. With deployments around the world, we offer industry-leading cellular M2M technologies—rugged gateways and intelligent embedded modules with long life spans, cloud platforms, expert application development assistance and more.