Increased usage demands, costs, and green initiatives are pushing electricity, water, gas, and oil utilities to update transmission and distribution infrastructures. Smart grid solutions require end-to-end IP connectivity that is secure, maintainable, and open to enhancement. Wireless connectivity and quick, affordable application development and deployment are critical components for infrastructures that enable new solutions and revenue generating services for:
- Energy generation: renewable energy, distributed generation sources
- Transmission and distribution: load management, demand response
- Smart metering for residential, commercial and industrial
- Electrical vehicle charging station management
EDMI and Sierra Wireless win GSMA "Best Mobile Innovation for Utilities" Award 2011
Large US Utility uses AirLink Raven XT for 24/7 monitoring and control of its Distribution Operations Center (DOC)
Wind farm developer leverages AirLink intelligent M2M gateways to more effeciently gather remote data
Italian leader in energy management systems reduces costs and time to market with AirPrime WMP100 modules and Embedded Application Framework.
Görlitz integrates AirPrime Q2686 embedded modules with the Open AT application framework for a flexible, high-quality metering solution
Natural Gas provider trusts the AirLink Raven gateways to monitor thousands of miles of pipeline
Energy Management Provider Taps Cellular for Rapidly Deployable Solution in Problem Areas
Natural gas utility uses AirLink Raven XT gateways to poll real-time measurement data from remote facilities
River Authority Pilots Integrated Cellular Connectivity for Automated Metering Program Without Replacing Legacy Equipment
Sierra Wireless advantage
Sierra Wireless has more than a decade of experience in wireless data communications for utilities and energy infrastructures. Active membership in industry associations such as ESMIG (European Smart Metering Industry Group) ensures our solutions are compliant with industry standards. From rugged devices with long life spans to management solutions, our products recognize the challenge of operating large device populations in remote areas.
Utilities industry experience and expertise in wireless technologies
Collaborate with a seasoned engineering team experienced in large-scale wireless deployments for utilities around the world, in countries including: Australia, Canada, China, France, India, New Zealand, Thailand, U.K., and U.S.A.
The only technology partner you need for end-to-end solutions
From ruggedized embedded modules, gateways and routers, software suites, and development tools to services platforms, Sierra Wireless is the only company that can offer all the technology components you need for building end-to-end utilities solutions.
Simplify integration and deployment
Get new services to new markets faster with open and proven technologies that allow rapid design and easy integration, with a services platform that enables fast deployment and cost-effective maintenance and support.
Ruggedized and secure product line
Sierra Wireless embedded modules, routers and gateways are designed for long product life spans and rugged conditions. Tested to military specifications, our products deliver secure, reliable wireless connectivity under extreme temperatures, humidity, and vibration.
Credibility with wireless carriers worldwide
Leverage Sierra Wireless credibility and long-standing relationships with leading wireless carriers to facilitate network certification and connection.
Sierra Wireless solutions for Energy
AirPrime™ Embedded Wireless Modules: Cellular wireless modules with low power consumption, highly reliable, ruggedized, and cost-effective.
- AirPrime Q Series and SL Series: programmable and scalable, with advanced features that decrease total system cost. A single form factor supports multiple air interfaces (2G and 3G, GSM and CDMA).
- Open AT Application Framework: embedded application framework for industrial applications, which includes an M2M-optimized operating system, a set of libraries, and an integrated development environment. It allows easy management of wireless communications, facilitates integration of any metering protocols, and adds advanced security features (such as encryption and jamming detection) into the wireless module with no extra cost.
AirLink™ Intelligent Gateways: Designed for rugged outdoor environments where reliability and security are essential. AirLink gateway remotely monitor and control infrastructure, instrumentation, or surveillance equipment in any industrial application.
- LS300 Industrial Gateway: A compact 3G industrial gateway with Class I Div 2 certification and small footprint for easy installation.
- GX Series Gateway: A rugged line of 3G and 4G mobile gateways with GPS and multiple options including Wi-Fi and additional I/O or Ethernet ports.
- FX Series Programmable Modem: An expandable, rugged 2G or 3G programmable modem with options that include GPS.
AirVantage™ M2M Cloud: provides an efficient, cost effective way to develop, deploy and operate M2M services. Accelerate time-to-market, reduce risk and lower deployment and maintenance cost with over the air monitoring and upgrade of AirPrime or AirLink devices.
Embedded SIM: For seamless connection with cellular networks, this award-winning SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) solution is designed to withstand harsh environments (temperature, vibration, humidity).
Professional services: Take advantage of our experience and expertise, from design to deployment. Be assured of network certification with our verification expertise and strong wireless operator relationships.